Today's post features one of my favorite spring recipes! I made it numerous times last year and was excited to make it again this week. This pizza is full of so many rich tastes, but is not heavy at all. Due to the light nature of the pizza, I decided to make it as an appetizer this time. The recipe was taken directly from A Spicy Perspective's blog, check out the original recipe here. I tried not to stray too far from the original recipe as it is so good, but I did make a couple minor tweaks. 😉
- ready-made flat bread (I'm a sucker for quick and easy, but feel free to make your own or use puff pastry)
- 10-15 basil leaves (I never end up using 15)
- sharp white cheddar (the original recipe calls for 2 slices...I say, use however much your heart desires!)
- 1/4 C part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 C fresh blackberries (original recipe calls for blueberries)
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp of honey
- preheat the oven according to your flat bread's directions
- arrange the basil leaves on the dough and evenly disperse the sharp white cheddar
- pre-cut your dough (this is key for visual purposes)
- dollop ricotta cheese evenly over the pizza followed by the blackberries
- sprinkle the crushed red pepper and salt over the pizza
- cook according to the flat bread's directions or until the edges are golden and the cheese is melted
- take out of the oven, drizzle with honey, and serve it up!
Set aside your berry of choice to come to room temperature.
Tear apart your basil and sharp cheddar and add them to your pre-cut dough.
Add dollops of ricotta and sprinkle on some salt and crushed red pepper. Then bake, drizzle with honey, and serve!
Enjoy your Blackberry and Ricotta Flatbread!